Thursday, December 2, 2010

30 Day Challenge, and Where the Hell I've Been For the Last Month

Hello friends.  Yes, it's me.  I'm still alive.  Lots and lots of things have happened to me recently, which obviously I could have blogged about, but I was fighting something I'd like to call "Unemployment Depression" (more on that another time) and I just Didn't Feel Like Doing Anything.  But I got a job (hoo-ray!) and I'm in my last few days of freedom, so I thought now would be a good time to update my peeps on what's been going on in ECM land.

So, I got a job.  I'm the new Parlor Manager for Julep Nail Parlor in University Village.  Yup, from managing people scooping food to managing people doing nails- big leap, I know.  Originally, I was aiming to get a job doing something that was a little more task-focused, rather than managing people, but (as my mother kindly pointed out) I'm good at managing people, so I might as well stick to what I do well.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm getting more and more excited about this job.  Things about this job that are Way More Awesome than my last job.
1. Female dominated environment- my boss is a woman, the CEO of the company is a women; heck, all of my employees except for one are all women.  Coming from my last job, where women were patted on the head and never taken seriously, this is a breath of fresh air.
2. PERKS!  Free services!  Discounts on products!  Free products!  My nails and toes will always look fantastic!
3. NO SAFETY SHOES!!!!!!!!!!  I can wear high heels, boots, sandals, and even flip flops (as long as they have a heel).  If you know me, you know how excited I am about this.  I'm that shallow that all I wanted was a job that would allow me to once again wear pretty high heels.  Pants and dresses just don't look the same with flats when you're a towering 5'3.  They just don't.
4. My boss is super awesome.  I have a vacation coming up but no vacation time accrued, so she's letting me take the days unpaid and then still have 10 days of vacation left for the rest of the year.  And she's working on Christmas Eve for me so that I can go home.  She clearly has her priorities in order and cares about her employees. Hmmph.  What a concept.  Do you hear that, Dick Devine??  You could use a little more work in that department. 

Speaking of vacations, in approximately 6 weeks I will be here:

Holland America Oosterdam
En route to here:

More specifically: Puero Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas.  I have the Most Awesome Parents Ever who are taking Hubsters and I on a week long Mexican cruise to celebrate the fact that we both are 30, even though we haven't blessed them with grandchildren yet.  I am SO excited- however, being as I have recently gained what I am affectionatly calling my "Winter Weight", I am now in damage control for having to be in a bikini when I am used to burying my pasty, unfit, Ho-Ho-Holiday self under comfy sweaters. 
SO:  I have devised what I am calling the 30 Day Challenge.  Starting December 1st, for 30 days Hubs and I have committed to working out at least 30 minutes a day, every day, for 30 days.  Also, we are making a concious effort to eat healthy and not drink during the week.  AND, I myself have made a personal pact that I'm going to severely limit my Holiday Drinking.  This means no more than 2 cocktails at a party.  I'll let you know how THAT goes- I am not exactly known for my will power- but I know that if I can lose the 10 pounds before the cruise that I want to lose, I will be SO happy.

Speaking of working out, I recently discovered Hot Yoga, and I think I'm in love.  I bought the introductory 10 class special at I Love Hot Yoga and I LOVE it.  Not only does it burn boucoup calories in a short time, but most of the time I leave class feeling super relaxed and all bendy and flexible.  I haven't been this stretchy since my days as a ballerina. 

There you have it, folks.  As you can see, I'm still alive.  I hope my two readers haven't lost interest in me and you're still out there stalking me.  It makes me feel important :)

No comments:

Post a Comment